Full-Time Lower School Science Teacher
Academic Year 2022-2023 (Full-Time 1.0 FTE)
Who We Are
At San Domenico, we believe that what students do with their education is as important as their academic performance. Every day we encourage our students to not just study, but also to reflect on their learning, find their purpose, and celebrate in community, because an exceptional education, where values and academics join together, creates more than just great students – it develops great people. San Domenico is a K-12, co-ed school, with international boarding and day students in our Upper School.
A Lower School Science Teacher is responsible for the instruction and care of our students, as well as the advancement of the grade-level program. This person must be a versatile and experienced teacher with the ability to teach across multiple grade levels from 1st-5th grades. This teacher must have excellent communication and organizational skills in order to meet the standards of excellence we hold at San Domenico School as well as the ability and desire to work in a collaborative and team-oriented environment.
Responsibilities of a Lower School Science Teacher
- Planning, supervising, and implementing the program for the class in accordance with the curriculum, student learning objectives, policies, and philosophy of the school.
- Gearing the program to the needs of individual children with concern for their interests, special talents, and individual style and pace of learning.
- Following the curriculum subject outline.
- Curriculum development, assessment, activities and instruction in Science.
- Maintaining classroom management & guidance with Responsive Classroom.
- Being responsible for the ordered arrangement, appearance, decor, and learning environment of the classroom.
- Consistently recording anecdotal notes on students for use in progress reports and conferences.
- Provide first response to and general student disciplinary concerns at school.
Planning & Supervision:
- Preparing report cards and writing narrative reports.
- Being available for prompt and daily parent/guardian contact; email, phone call, in person.
- Being well-versed and interested in the use of technology and attentive to email and document sharing accounts.
- Attending professional development and prep/closing before and after the school year as dictated by the school calendar.
- Attending weekly faculty meetings, in-service training, and other meetings as scheduled.
- Maintain updated website and individual or grade level communication on a regular basis.
- Weekly assigned duties-student supervision.
- Work closely with Lower School Administration, as well as other grade levels and departments to seek community-building activities, ensure curriculum development, as well as document and report possible opportunities for press releases and events within the Marin Community.
- Field trip coordination and special schedules, when applicable.
An ideal candidate will have most of the following qualifications:
- K-5 Multi-Subject California Credential required.
- At least 2 years teaching experience in science classrooms required, (experience with K-5 program and students preferred).
- Passion for teaching young people.
- Experience teaching STEAM, coding, hands-on projects.
- Trained in Responsive Classroom.
- Experience in team teaching.
- Willing to learn technology programs essential to differentiating student learning.
Salary commensurate with experience, plus an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/matching 403b retirement plan, daily lunch.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to hr@SanDomenico.org describing how your experience and skills will contribute to the position, along with your salary requirements. Please put the title of the position in the subject line of your email.
Or mail to:
San Domenico School
1500 Butterfield Road
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Attn: Lower School Science Teacher position
San Domenico School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, age, disability, medical condition, religion, veteran status, marital status or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.
No phone calls, please.