Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
Facilities or Plant Operations
4 Year Degree
- We inspire students to be: Independent in Thought
- Confident in Expression
- Compassionate in Spirit
- Collaborative in Action
- Honorable in Deed
Position Title: Director of Maintenance
Germantown Academy is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school located on a beautiful 126-acre campus in the Fort Washington suburbs near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The school serves more than 1,200 students in grades PK-12. Founded in 1759, GA is America’s oldest non-sectarian day school with rich traditions and a strong commitment to ongoing innovation of curricular and pedagogical practices.
Germantown Academy is committed to the work of equity and inclusion and believes that equal opportunity in all aspects of employment supports the mission of the school and the successful attainment of our strategic objectives. Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and a respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
We are seeking qualified, experienced candidates for a full-time position of Director of Maintenance, beginning as soon as possible. This is a 12-month position which offers an excellent array of benefits and a highly competitive salary. The Director of Maintenance reports directly to the Director of Facilities and will collaborate across the facilities, security, and housekeeping departments.
- Direct and manage all maintenance functions for all buildings owned by Germantown Academy including HVAC, Plumbing, Carpentry, Electrical, and Maintenance.
- Supervise the Grounds Superintendent, and provide guidance and oversight of annual operations, periodic refreshes, and strategic investments.
- Supervise all maintenance staff and their regular operations. This includes 8 maintenance employees with specialties in general maintenance, plumbing, carpentry, painting, electrical, and HVAC.
- Ensure that the physical plant and campus landscape and hardscape facilitate an environment which supports the educational mission of the school.
- Perform maintenance tasks to support extra workload and busy periods.
- Prepare and manage the maintenance and grounds budgets; review budgetary cost estimates for the operation of the departments and examine long-term operational needs against the more immediate financial needs.
- Initiate, develop, and monitor contracts with third party vendors providing professional and technical services that support the department’s initiatives.
- Conduct periodic inspections of buildings for conformance to established standards; indicate areas of improvement and suggest methods of approach for subordinate staff.
- Schedule and execute all yearly inspections pertaining to facility systems including, but not limited to, fire alarms, fire extinguishers, fire suppression, mechanical systems, boilers, elevators, and other alarms.
- Monitor and coordinate timely responses to work order requests and daily event setups, and maintain records using facilities helpdesk software (FMX)
- Coordinate with administrators to prepare the school for special events.
- Develop and maintain a 5-year strategic plan for the maintenance department including regular investments, periodic refreshes, and strategic initiatives.
- Support the Grounds Superintendent with the development and maintenance of a 5-year strategic plan for grounds.
- Oversee preventative maintenance schedule for equipment and systems.
- Maintain a complete inventory of all maintenance and grounds equipment and vehicles including records, history, age profile, and refresh dates.
- Maintain proper inventory levels of supplies, materials, and equipment for maintenance staff.
- Preserve the collection of drawings of the buildings, their systems, and equipment O&M manuals.
- Advise and/or respond to emergencies on a 24-hour basis as needed.
- Foster a culture of personal accountability, service, and support.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and/or holidays as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited educational, technical, trade or vocational institution.
- A minimum of 7 years of professional experience in building services operations or facilities management which shall include responsibility for a large complex of buildings.
- Understanding of current best practices, methods, techniques, tools, materials, and equipment which are essential to the daily management of building and maintenance activities.
- Sufficient knowledge of building HVAC, Plumbing, Carpentry, Electrical, and Maintenance to be able to supervise and manage colleagues in these roles.
- Managerial experience of small to medium-sized teams.
- General carpentry and handyman skills
- Experience preparing and maintaining strategic plans and multi-year budgets.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience presenting to management teams and / or senior leadership.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be self-motivated and able to exercise sound judgment in prioritizing tasks in order to meet various deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret technical drawings and service manuals.
- Experience using a work order system.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Must have valid driver’s license & clean driving record.
Required Physical Characteristics:
- Ability to easily lift 50 pounds throughout the course of an eight-to-ten-hour day.
- Ability to walk, bend, stand, and do manual labor throughout an eight-to-ten-hour day.
- Physical ability to complete general maintenance projects.
- Ability and agility to operate all maintenance equipment (i.e.: snow / leaf blower, hi-lift, and ladders).
- Visual acuity of at least 20/40 (with corrective lenses if needed) sufficient to maintain accurate records, read instructions and complete inventory and forms.
- Must maintain a positive, can-do approach to the work at hand.
- Must meet required standards of performance with minimum supervision.
- Must be able to communicate comfortably with the full range of school staff, faculty, administration, and students.
- Needs to anticipate problems and undertake solutions without prompting.
- Must provide continuous attention to quality, detail, and final results.
- Must be able to perform all basic duties of a General Maintenance Worker in addition to the specific skills listed above.
Create a Job Alert for Similar Jobs
About Germantown Academy
Germantown Academy, located in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania. The Academy, founded in 1759, is a non-sectarian, coeducational, college preparatory school of more than 1,200 students in Grades PK-12, located in the northwest suburbs of Philadelphia on a campus of 126 acres. At Germantown Academy, we are committed to creating a learning environment that is as diverse as the broader, global world of which we are a part. We value this diversity because it makes us a stronger community, enriches our thinking and helps us to develop our collaborative spirit. Connections working at Germantown Academy
More Jobs from This Employer
Location: Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time